MUSEUM & RETAIL ASSOCIATE (HALF TIME POSITION)
The Museum & Retail Associate works with the Customer Experience Coordinator to deliver an excellent visitor experience. These experiences are delivered through retail experience, public interpretation, and engagement. This is a frontline position responsible for ensuring all visitors to the site are welcomed and provided with service in a courteous and professional manner.
Reports to: Customer Experience Coordinator
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Museum & Retail Associate will be the first point of contact for all visitors, gift shop and museum admissions and will assist the Customer Experience Coordinator by:
- Greeting all visitors to the site in a friendly manner and ascertain their needs. Directing them to the appropriate department/person.
- Providing engaging interpretive experiences of the Medalta Potteries site by delivering regular guided tours.
- Learning the history of the Medalta Potteries site, the Historic Clay District, Medicine Hat, and Canadian ceramics to improve visitor experience.
- Responding to all enquiries in a professional and courteous manner, in person, on the telephone or via email.
- Performing daily museum opening and closing routines as set out in the procedures manual and as directed by supervisor.
- Processing museum admission fees and providing guidance regarding museum experience.
- Assisting with all aspects of the gift shop including processing in-person, telephone, and online sales, packing and merchandizing.
- Answering the telephone, screening, and directing calls and taking accurate messages when required.
- Receiving shipments and deliveries.
- Maintaining daily visitor count records.
- Performing routine maintenance checks and reporting any discrepancies to their supervisor and/or maintenance staff.
- Assisting with special events under the direction of the Customer Experience Coordinator.
- Tending to routine chores which may involve cleaning public areas, gift shop and museum.
- Undertaking related tasks and projects consistent with these responsibilities, as assigned.
Necessary Training and Experience
- Minimum High School Diploma, preferred Certificate in Administration or Commerce;
- At least three (3) years successful experience working as a receptionist or a combination of reception, retail experience, customer service experience; and/or museum experience.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
Necessary Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, along with strong interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships with the public and team members.
- Comfortable speaking to large groups of people.
- Must have excellent organizational skill and be extremely reliable.
- Proficient in the use of computers and comfortable working with Microsoft Office programs.
- Interest and knowledge of Canadian history and ceramics is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of point-of-sale software is considered an asset; and
- Knowledge of the history of the Historic Clay District is considered an asset.
Hours / Schedule
- This is a half-time position with 20 hours per week. Shift schedules will include alternating weekends, occasional evenings, and may include some Statutory Holidays.
Wage / Contract Range
Starting wage for this position is $16.00 per hour.
How to Apply
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Application for Museum & Retail Associate Position”