We need sponsors that are as passionate about our artisan community as we are to step forward and help make our artist lodge vision a reality. The project is nearing completion – now we need your help to ensure it is a viable option for our artists in 2018.
ARTIST LODGE @ MEDALTA
The Medalta International Artists in Residence Program has attracted hundreds of artists to our community since it started in 1999. If heritage is the heart of the Historic Clay District then these creative folks are the blood; the nourishment for all that we do at Medalta.
Our vision is to provide our Artists in Residence with safe and affordable housing on-site to ensure they have a positive experience at Medalta. We believe the Artist Lodge project is a vital part of Medalta’s effort to offer our extended creative community a chance to create in a heritage context in a way that is meaningful, economic, and accessible. All artists already have studios at the Shaw International Centre for Contemporary Ceramics; the Artist Lodge space is a 10-minute walk from their space.
This vision is already being transformed into reality. The building that is being renovated is an adaptively reused mid-century modern structure that housed the former offices of IXL. This unique structure is protected as a Provincial Historic Resource and features a variety of masonry materials that were produced on site. The perimeter features 13 private bedrooms around a core of communal space for cooking, eating, and socializing. There are a variety of bathroom options and the entire space is accessible as it was designed to accommodate the diverse range of folks that we attract to Medalta.
A foundation of all programming at Medalta is the Artist in Residence program.
• Artists from around the world come to our community in order to conduct engaging research in a proximal learning environment.
• The artists teach in our education program; the program leads in delivering experience based cross-curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities for school districts and adult communities.
• The artists are engaged in our pottery production facility that produces pottery that is sold across Canada using materials that are mined from within 200 km and fired using energy that is pumped from under the facility.
• These artists act as ambassadors for our social enterprise business, Plainsman Clays LTD. that manufactures and distributes clay and clay products throughout Canada and into the US.
We have designed a fundraising campaign that can be inclusive to sponsors at all levels. Our desire is to work with each interested contributor, whether they are private or corporate sponsors, to form a partnership that best reflects their goals, passions, and level of influence.
Every sponsor will receive recognition in printed materials, on our website, and through our social media channels. Each sponsor will have the opportunity to be a part of Artist Lodging community events and have the opportunity to be the preferred service provider for our Artist-in-Residence program.
All sponsors will be recognized in the Lodge on our wall of recognition.
If you do not see a package that reflects your goals and passion we are committed to getting creative and working with you so that you are best reflected in this community and become a part of our heritage.
NAMING SPONSOR – $350,000 – BMO
• This sponsor is the project enabler
INFLUENCING SPONSOR – $50,000
• Naming rights to annual student orientation day
• This sponsor ensures the Lodge has a view – windows and doors; inside and out
CONTRACTING SPONSOR – $25,000
• Naming rights to one of two private spaces in the Lodge
• These sponsors enable us to fund expert contractors and professionals
COMMUNITY SPONSOR – $10,000
• Naming rights to one of four social spaces in the Lodge (kitchen, living room, dining room, foyer)
• These sponsors enable us to make our spaces home – from furnishing to fixtures
ROOM SPONSOR – $5,000
• Naming rights to one of twelve artist rooms
• These sponsors ensure each artist has a special place of their own
PASSION SPONSOR – $1,000
• Inside every cabinet and door hides a surprise – a name and a note from a passion sponsor looking to inspire the next generation of artist
• These sponsors cover our expenses
NEIGHBOUR SPONSOR – $1-$999
• Opportunity to be a part of Medicine Hat history
• These sponsors account for every nail and ounce of sweat that goes into the project
Help Medalta ensure the Artist Lodge is a viable option for our artists by making a donation.
TO DATE THIS PROJECT IS 80% FUNDED AND RENOVATION IS 95% COMPLETE.
We look forward to welcoming artists to stay in this facility for the 2018/2019 program year. Our Executive Director, Aaron Nelson, is leading this project and working with each contributor individually to tailor a program and level of sponsorship that best reflects their passion and commitment to the Artist Lodge.