Anthony (Tony) Timothy Schlachter arrived in the world in the middle of the 1930’s depression. He was the second of eight children born to Joseph and Catherine Schlachter who had a farm on the Etzikom Road, between Seven Persons and Bow Island, Alberta.
After managing a grain elevator in Hussar, Alberta for a couple of years, Tony also went into farming, growing wheat and raising cattle, on the land known locally as “the Flamme farm”. It had belonged to August Flamme, an MLA for the Cypress area in the late thirties.
It was on this farm that Tony discovered the very first piece of his collection – a stoneware chicken waterer. In the intervening 50 years, he has amassed an exemplary collection of south eastern Alberta pottery which he generously donated to The Friends of Medalta Society in the Spring of 2008.
Upon donating it to us, Tony asked that it be shown as a single collection, which we were happy to do. His collection officially opened in Medalta’s former Kiln Room in May 2008 and was housed there until October 2010. Its permanent home will be in a space fitting Tony’s dedication in a secure section of our new Reception Gallery and will be opening in early summer 2011. Some of the artefacts are one-of-a kind – including a vase made for the Veiner family and a half a chamber pot (custom-made by a former Medalta Manager for his “half-assed” friends).