Our Squared Gallery is an 8,000 square foot space in Medalta’s former Kiln Room. When Medalta was in operation (from 1912 – 1954), this massive brick building housed three beehive kilns and one muffle (test) kiln. In the 1940’s, a Harrop tunnel kiln was installed at Medalta with a section running through the very space which the Squared Gallery now occupies.
In the 1960’s, all the kilns in the room were dismantled with the intention of using the space as a storage facility. When that venture didn’t pan out, it was left vacant.
In the winter of 2010/11, an Industrial Archaeologist lead an excavation of the room. The goal was to uncover the foundations of the kilns which would give a better understanding of how the factory operated. The foundations of one of the kilns – circa 1912 – has been left exposed and serves as a wonderful complement to the contemporary gallery.
The walls and steel trusses overhead are original from 1912 which adds further character to the space. To keep up to date on upcoming exhibitions and openings, look at our calendar and sign up for our newsletter (the form is at the bottom of this website).